1. DATA PROTECTION PRINCIPLES
The New Layout is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information.
As a “data controller” (meaning we are responsible for deciding what personal information we collect about you and what reasons we use it for) we take our obligations under data protection law very seriously. This means that the personal information we hold about you must be:
- Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is inconsistent with those purposes.
- Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
- Accurate and kept up to date.
- Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about.
- Kept securely.
2. THE KIND OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOLD ABOUT YOU
Personal data or personal information means any information about a living person from which that person can be identified. It does not include information where the identity of the person has been removed (anonymous data).
There are also “special categories” of more sensitive personal data which require a higher level of protection, such as information about a person’s health, biometric data (e.g. fingerprints) or criminal convictions.
Over the course of your application, we will need to collect and use lots of personal information about you, such as these categories :
- Information so we can identify you, such as your title, full name and DOB (Core ID Data).
- Information so we can get in touch with you, such as your personal home address, personal email address, home and personal mobile telephone numbers (Core Contact Data) as well as your work contact information.
- Information about your skills, experience and qualifications.
3. HOW DO WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We collect most personal information about you direct from you, starting with the application and recruitment process.
We will also collect personal information about you from other sources, such as these categories :
- During recruitment/promotion processes, from recruitment or employment agencies, background check providers (where applicable), former employers, referees and similar.
- From benefits providers, training providers, your emergency contacts and where applicable, from trustees or managers of pension arrangements.
- More unusually, from the police, government departments or other agencies and sometimes from the public.
4. WHY DO WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU?
We will only use your personal information when the law allows us to and most commonly this will be in relation to one of the following (our lawful basis):
During the application and recruitment process. Where we need to perform the contract of employment we have entered into with you.
Where we need to comply with a legal obligation.
Where we (or a third party) need to use the personal information for a legitimate reason.
With your clear consent.
We may also use your personal information in the following situations, although these are likely to be rare:
Where its use is needed in the public interest (or for official purposes).
In an emergency, to protect you (or someone else) from death or serious harm (vital interests).
There are lots of reasons why we need to use your personal information during the recruitment process, such as in the following situations :